The provision of a legal service for schools in connection with the discharge of schools’ functions. In addition to ad hoc advice, the service includes:
• the conduct of civil litigation in courts, tribunals and inquiries;
• advocacy in court and tribunal proceedings;
• the preparation of contracts in respect of the provision of goods or services and the undertaking of works;
• conveyancing and other property related work; and
• the preparation of forms or notices which are required by statute or regulation to be served or published by the client school.
Where the work of a specialist nature cannot be undertaken effectively or economically by Legal Services, the client school will be advised of the need to engage an external expert.
In the event that there is a conflict between the interests of Sunderland City Council and a school in a particular case, Legal Services must act on behalf of the council, and it will be necessary for the school to seek its own separate legal advice in those circumstances. In that situation, the school will be advised as soon as a conflict is identified.